Music

Sunday 25 January 2015

Beverly Hills 90210. Yes.



Need I say more? Ah but I will, back in the day I would turn on my television and watch the escapades of the rich and over-privileged (excepting the Walsh Twins and Ahhndrea) and boy was it entertaining. You know I'm pretty sure FOX Network started that whole 'scenes from the next thing' and if they didn't start it they sure were the first to make an event out of it and make an event out of television.

The way they got us hooked was to run a full first season of 90210 then when everyone else's show was on hiatus they carried on through the summer with special "Beach Episodes" by the time they came back for fall (after a short break) we were addicts, bona fide, tried and true 90210 junkies. We needed to know if Brenda and Dylan would ever reconcile, if Kelly's mom would stay off the drugs, if Brandon and Ahhndrea would ever get it on, if Steve's mother would ever love him, if Donna would ever have sex, if David would ever stop being such a loser (or being treated like such a loser)....WE HAD TO KNOW!!!  My sister was kind and clever enough to buy me the first season on DVD and I marathoned it like Terry Fox. I welcome you to take a dip in the original Beverly Hills 90210 pool. The water's fine, folks.

You know last week was all about the 80's and I snuck a little Shannen Doherty in there for ya with Heathers ( I hope you watched it) but when Shannen really hit it big was with this wonderful show. If you've never seen an episode of the original 90210 then you probably weren't born yet, or perhaps not on the continent of North America but have no fear, it is all perfectly wonderful because now you have a chance to discover it.

Me, personally I only made it to the end of season 4, when Shannen peaced out I did too and I am mighty glad for it. I found the show went from a top quality show about adolescence to a Dallas/Dynasty-esque bitchfest, not that there's anything wrong with that but I liked having Brenda Walsh as the moral, dramatic centre and without her to guide it I felt like the show lost its heart. So there you are. Seasons 1 through 4, it's fun, topical (well it was at the time and still may be) and thoroughly enjoyable and if you ship Brenda/Dylan like me then it's very tragically romantic (I learned the majority of Ophelia's monologue from the summer episodes)

Beverly Hills 90210 was also the first serial of their time (aside from 21 Jumpstreet) to be a drama targeted entirely to teenagers. At that time networks didn't think they could make any money out of teenagers (crazy right) and it was only during the 90's that the big marketing boom towards teenagerdom (tv, magazines, books) really took off. Somebody uttered the words "disposable income" and it was off to the races. So I've made you a Beverly Hills 90210 playlist  of course (heads up unless you have a deezer account this playlist is only viewable on your laptop). It's a blast I tell you, and due to The Peach Pit scenes (Ah Nat!) there's a lot of good 50's and 60's music too. Do enjoy kittens and have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment